Civil Rights & Employment Discrimination: Philadelphia Movie
Please answer the following questions that are related to the movie “Philadelphia”
1. How would you describe the ethical dilemma confronted by the managers at the law firm?
2. Are the managers at Wyant & Wheeler justified in firing Andrew? What set of criteria
would you use to arrive at this decision?
3. How is the fact that Andrew concealed his illness relevant to the case?
4. Is Joe morally obliged to accept Andrew’s case?
5. Why do you think that Joe finally accepts the case?
6. If you witnessed an instance of discrimination, would you intervene? What would inform
7. Are we ethically entitled to interpret the experience of others?
8. How does our interpretation alter the experience of others?
9. What are the consequences of believing or not believing these experiences?
Source: Carlos B. Gonzalez and Augustin F. Zarzosa, The Film Philadelphia As a Case Study of Ethical Dilemmas in the Workplace, Journal of Business Case Studies, Volume 4, Number 7. July 2008.