– Address the Constitutional implications of suicidal inmates based on decisions made in cases such as the Supreme Court Case of Estelle v. Gamble (1976), and Newman v. Alabama (1974). How have these decisions made an impact. Explain.
– How do you distinguish the potential suicide victim who is crying out for help from the manipulative inmate? The manipulative inmate will often threaten or feign suicide in an attempt to get his way, or in court, to bolster his insanity defense or gain sympathy.
– What is the protocol for addressing these types of situations?
– How does the problem of prison overcrowding impact the issue of inmate suicide from both administration and victim perspectives?
– Add to your policy to establish requirements and protocol for addressing suicidal inmates in an overcrowded correctional facility environment.