Crime Data Comparison
Resource: Films on Demand
– “Crime and Punishment”
– “Experiment Research and Design”
– “Selecting a Sample”
– “Introduction to Crimes Kiosk”
– “Defining and Measuring Crime”
Resource: Criminology in the 21st Century
– How Crimes are Measured
Utilize FBI Uniform Crime Report data and select one offense, such as burglary, in two metropolitan areas.
Choose metropolitan areas with different data.
Comparing the occurrence of the offense in the selected areas. Identify the number of occurrences reported to the police for each area, and address the following questions:
– Which area had more reported incidents?
– What were the rates of the crime for each area?
– Did the rates change over time in either area?
– What factors might explain the differences in the rates?