Discuss the following:
• The role of the Joint Commission in accrediting medical facilities
• Which facilities can be accredited?
• What are the goals of the Commission?
• How do existing Joint Commission guidelines impact facilities that are not accredited by the Commission?
• Is it mandatory for organizations to be accredited by the Joint Commission? If not, what impact does not having such accreditation mean in terms of reimbursement?
• Create a memorandum where:
• You are the administrator of the health information department for a medium-sized facility. You have just been informed by the compliance officer that the Joint Commission will be visiting your facility and will be focusing on your department.
• Begin the memorandum by including information you believe will be important for your personnel to know to prepare for the visit.
• Then, anticipate possible questions that the Commission might have for you in terms of compliance.
• How will you and your department respond to these questions? How will you manage any negative findings during the visit?
• Finally, discuss how current noncompliance findings can be avoided in the future in this memorandum